Re: [RRG] loc/id split and HIP (was LISP)

Using HIP for a purpose similar to LISP would be a slightly different story. Then all hosts would need to support HIP, either natively or through proxying [2]. However, still no modifications would be needed to applications. A global mapping would be needed, but I fail to see how its cost would be considerably higher than a corresponding mapping for LISP. Maybe someone can help me to understand how the investment or operational costs of a distributed, global HIT->IP address mapping service would be any larger than for a IP->IP mapping service?

Site address and transit address split solution uses IP prefix->IP mapping service, while HIP uses HIT->IP mapping service. There is some difference in the database size. It should be a challenge to use a global HIT->IP mapping service such as DHT, from the aspect of lookup efficiency, as HIT has no semantic significance currently and it's a flat label.

How about split host identifier into two parts, the first part is organization ID and which is hierarchical, and the second part is self-generated HIT which is flat, in this way, we can deploy hierarchical DHT to improve the scalability of the mapping service system further.

Such a practise was there in the early drafts; see e.g. [1]. That was removed later since a) nobody implemented it and b) the people working on HIP at that time didn't see any reason for retaining it.

From today's point of view, I think CGAs or some variant thereof, such as the one suggested by Christian Vogt [2] could serve such a purpose. Architecturally, CGAs could well be used with HIP; however, the channel bindings property of HITs would be weakened quite a lot.

--Pekka Nikander

[1] http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-moskowitz-hip-arch-02.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vogt-rrg-six- one-00.txt, Section 3.4