*From: owner-rrg@psg.com [mailto:owner-rrg@psg.com] On Behalf Of Pekka
Nikander
*Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:52 AM
*To: Sheng Jiang
*Cc: Routing Research Group list
*Subject: Re: [RRG] loc/id split and HIP (was LISP)
*
*>> Hence, the [limitations w.r.t mobility] in the draft refers only
*>> to the case where you basically want to preserve existing Internet
*>> semantics, i.e., an IP address points to the host *currently*
*>> reachable at the location.  Then, if the host moves, those UDP
*>> applications that cache the address break today.  In this
*>> scenario, HIP doesn't change anything since we don't want to
*>> change the semantics.
*>>
*>> If you willing to work with different semantics where the meaning
*>> of an IP address is changed somewhat, you can "fix" the situation
*>> and make also UDP applications to work, even when they do cache IP
*>> addresses.  That won't be simple and it will configuration would
*>> be ugly -- therefore we don't recommend it.  It would be better to
*>> use LSIs (which would have different semantics anyway) or,
*>> preferably, HITs.
*>
*> Pekka, I think you mis-understood what I meant originally. When I
*> said "ALL applications to be modified in order to support HIT", I
*> referred to those applications that use IP as identifier within
*> their implementations.
*
*I don't think I misunderstood you.  When I wrote about legacy
*applications, I really meant legacy applications that use IPv4
*addresses directly in their data structures and configuration files.
*
*I really mean that you *can* make HIP to work with such legacy
*applications, but you pay for it.  In practise you have to have some
*"local" configuration (not necessarily host-local, though) that
*statically binds such statically used legacy IPv4 addresses into
*HITs.  That changes the semantics that people generally expect about
*IPv4 addresses today; OTOH, such changed semantics would be closer to
*what people expected from IPv4 addresses before NATs, DHCP, and
*mobility.
*
*--Pekka Nikander
*
*PS.  All that I'm trying to do here is to correct some common
*misconceptions about HIP.  You are not alone thinking that HIP
*doesn't work with legacy IPv4 applications, while it does.
*
*As I have written a few times, I don't think that HIP, as it is
*today, would be able to solve the routing table scalability problem.
*See my previous messages for what would be needed in order to HIP
*help there.
*
*
*--
*to unsubscribe send a message to rrg-request@psg.com with the
*word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
*archive: <http://psg.com/lists/rrg/> & ftp://psg.com/pub/lists/rrg