re: [RRG] cache issues in LISP and CONS

Great idea! It looks like BGP damping mechanism, isn't it?
How to keep the cached mapping, especially those in ITR in real-time? Use
small TTL? This will result in frequent query/reply which is acceptable for
host but not acceptable for router. If the mapping server is a host, is that
practical for forwarding the initial traffic with caching miss? If the
mapping server is a router, can it bear for frequent request/reply pressure?
> Bandwidth is not necessarily the same as number of connections, and the
need
> for a mapping only exists when a connection is opened. Since my
understanding
> is that most P2P traffic is for large media files, I suspect that they
account
> for a smaller percentage of connection openings. Also, since they are for
> large files, if they take a few extra tens/hundreds of milliseconds to
start,
> I think that is probably acceptable.

I agree with your opinion.
> What would be the benefit to not having the ITR cache entries? Making them
> simpler? The disadvantage is that every connection would be slower to open
> (the ITR would have to talk to the rCAR).

Not just simple, but also no need to consider how to keep the cached mapping
in real-time and no loss of the initial packets with caching miss. Of
course, it depends on a distributed mapping and forwarding mechanism.

Xiaohu XU