Re: [RRG] incrementally deployable

As already mentioned, I did describe my solution when "we" submitted the NIRA-project proposal for being funded by the EU,but it was rated to be POOR and therefore rejected.I still think that the NIRA objectives are outstanding,at least far ahead of what this community is dreaming of. With the scalability problem eliminated,  much better TE objectives as well as new services could be envisioned for decades to come.
(Note, you never consider p2mp/mp2mp inside LISP etc. !)

Remains the question whether the NIRA-objectives are feasible? I indirectly provided proofs by submitting well computed graphs. In view of the outcome, I was well advised not to disclose the used algorithm.
I am pretty sure that the evaluator subscribes to RAM/RRG- mailinglists. I am also waiting to see any other ideas being taken to these mailinglists which come from the 150 adopted projects. My hope is, that there will be another research project opportunity somewhere in the future.
So I do not mind that LISP etc. is continued in the meantime.But I sometimes observe the hereby hit obstacles and think none of all this sweat is needed.

Heiner

In einer eMail vom 07.11.2007 01:29:24 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt rw@firstpr.com.au:
Hello Heiner,

You have written a number of messages indicating that there is some
radically different, superior and (I guess) simpler approach to the
routing scalability problems than those currently being contemplated
with LISP-CONS/NERD, eFIT-APT, Ivip, TRRP or various moderate
enhancements to BGP.

However, I don't think you haven't written about what you are
proposing as an alternative.

Your site:

  http://www.hummel-research.de

has a Flash presentation which mentions "Multipath Direction Field
MPDF", but Google finds no other mention of this.

Where is your proposal clearly documented?

Incremental deployment means (perhaps amongst other things) that
there are immediate overall benefits for the early adopters of a new
technology.  Any scheme which requires complete upgrades of all BGP
routers, all hosts etc. is not at all incrementally adoptable.
Likewise, a scheme in which the address space managed by the new
system is unreachable from non-upgraded networks is not
incrementally deployable, because virtually all of the people who
might initially adopt this new space would find the loss of
connectivity a far greater problem than whatever benefits the new
system provided.

   - Robin