Re: [RRG] Inviting people to join the RRG

> > I know the "crisis in routing and addressing" stuff we are working
> > on relates largely to scalability of the BGP routing system, and is
> > not explicitly tied to IPv4 address depletion, but I am adamant that:
>
> > 1 - IPv4 address depletion is the most urgent architectural problem
> >    facing the Internet - and far better recognised than BGP
> >    stability and router scaling problems with the growth of
> >    advertised prefixes.
I agree that a new Internet architecture should address both issues. Otherwise, Internet will need another evolution after we just finished an evolution for routing scalability purpose. If the routing scalability issue is not so urgent as imaged, we need to give the matter further thought.
> > 2 - All the ITR-ETR schemes are capable of slicing and dicing IPv4
> >    address space in many more pieces, and in finer pieces, than
> >    is ever likely to be practical with BGP.
>
> > 3 - Therefore, any of the ITR-ETR schemes could make a major
> >    contribution to the more efficient utilisation of IPv4 space.
The current ITR-ETR schemes use IPv4 address as EID namespace, and they do make some contribution to the efficient utilization of IPv4 address space. But is that enough?  Provided that a new address space needs to be deployed as EID namespace sooner or later in order to provide enough address space, should we go ahead further to embed some useful features in this new namespace from the start, such as build-in security mechanism?
> > 4 - We are stuck with IPv4 for the next decade or so.  IPv6
> >    provides few, if any, benefits for ordinary end-users, is
> >    complex and is not ubiquitously supported by applications,
> >    firewalls etc.  No ordinary Internet user is likely to be happy
> >    with an IPv6-only address in the foreseeable future.
Agree. Sooner or later we will need a global unique EID namespace and locator namespace with enough space in order to realize ubiquitous communication. It's better not to patch the Internet architecture again and again because each upgrade will be a hard experience.

Best wishes,
Xiaohu XU