Re: [RRG] Topology that follows addressing

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in the middle of the thread

[It seems that I can't reasonably quote anything from your message that shows the core idea.]

I understand this to be geographic routing, which goes even further than the geographic aggregation that is pretty much rejected out of hand whenever it comes up within the IETF (which is every couple of years or so).
Not sure what "geographic aggregation" you're referring to, but here is one that seems to work and avoids the pitfalls you mentioned bellow:
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~rveloso/papers/giro.pdf

Comments are appreciated.
Thanks,

--Ricardo

Unless I'm mistaken, the idea is that geographic proximity equals topological proximity. I'm afraid that can't work in a wired network. If I'm in Holland I'm closer to Scotland than when I'm in Belgium. But if I want to travel to Scotland through the channel tunnel, I need to go through Belgium. So I need to get farther geographically to get closer topologically.

The way to solve this would be to lift the geo/topo alignment requirement as soon as you reach a certain zoom level. But then there's the traditional argument against geographic aggregation: how do you avoid ISPs having to carry traffic for free? In other words: who announces the aggregates to the rest of the world?

Are you familiar with Tony Hain's draft about geographic addressing?