Re: [RRG] Idea for shooting down

In einer eMail vom 28.11.2007 20:00:04 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt tli@cisco.com:
I can vouch that routers are incredibly fast at doing longest-match
lookups because folks have put in incredible amounts of work into the
ASICs.  Yes, of course, it could be much, much worse, but doing
longest-match can in no way be construed as 'simple' to implement in
hardware.

That said, if we want to make forwarding plane changes (and all of
the proposals that I've seen involve some changes somewhere ;-),
making those changes in the ASICs is not unreasonable.

Tony
A single matrix lookup for any destination which is still in a different geo-patch can also be done by ASIC.
Can anybody tell the difference in time compared with prefix lookup by ASICs ?

Heiner