Re: [RRG] Thoughts on the RRG/Routing Space Problem

I don't see how we'd get incremental deployability with truly split address spaces.

One way would be to split them in such a way that they jointly remained syntactically similar to the original address space. This is one of the cuter things about GSE. Then new generation systems could recognize them as split (via a compatibility bit someplace) and to legacy systems, it would appear to be a legacy address.

If we are able to constrain BGP tables to only transit ASes, the DFZ becomes a lot smaller and we can afford to let everyone, even home users, multihome with PI space. (Of course, there's a hidden assumption there that the number of transit ASes will remain under control, but I haven't seen anyone dispute that.)

There's also a hidden assumption there that you can do that. One practical definition of PI space today is that your prefix is in BGP.

Tony