Re: [RRG] Is 12 bytes really so scary?

In einer eMail vom 09.12.2007 04:56:28 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt rw@firstpr.com.au:
Heiner, I am not responding to your suggestions because I am only
interested in proposals which are incrementally deployable.  You
discuss modifying TCP/IP, introducing a completely new routing
architecture etc.
Robin, as I wrote before: My concept is incrementally deployable because whoever can afford to collect 400 000 entries can easily collect 1K-2K entries in addition whereby the "routing churn" for collecting this additional info tends to zero.

I don't think we should adopt something unambitious like LISP
The IETF may develop LISP, but the IRTF should do research, imho.

I think a good solution would be one we are confident will work for
15 years or so - till 2027 - as long as we feel confident it could
be extended then, or that its costs then would be less of a concern
with the technology of the day.
Well, the algorithm I used in my pdf-file is almost 20 years old (it has been published by Kurt Mehlhorn in 1988) and I used it to compute the best next hop for any destination outside the current node's 1x1 square degreee geopatch. It  will still be working in 15 years from now just like my own algorithms which go beyond Dijkstra and which are rather 50 years ahead of the current IETF's state-of-art.
But I am afraid that the IETF community will never accept that Dijkstra did not finish the job, and therefore it will stick to the stone-age like TTL-mechanism forever. It will not accept that Dijkstra only provides the absolute minimum of routing information and will ignore any progress on this matter (e.g. by calling it hand waving ...)

As a matter of fact there could be much more ambitious goals:
Not only to abolish the scalability problem but also to provide "multiple topologies inter-domain", or:
Multicast to ten millions of receivers (without using any multicast address btw),
 or real-time traffic balancing (of course  without MPLS) etc. etc., all goals I experienced to be rated even VERY POOR.

Robin, while following the discussion, I got the impression that  your contributions haven't got the appropriate attention either. We both are loosers, aren't we?

Bonjour tristesse,

Heiner