[RRG] Re: Address/prefix bunches

Victor,

you are certainly right that the nature of hosts and their way of
accessing the Internet is likely to be different in 10 years than it is
today.  And yes, the access topology may be more nested -- with hosts
more commonly providing access router functionality for other hosts.

But note that the "edge", as defined in the Six/One spec, won't be
affected by this development.  It describes the separation between flat
routing in the Internet core and hierarchical routing outside of it.
For scalability reasons, we will have this also in the future.

As far as I can see, Six/One pads routing prefixes with link/subnet
IDs. This surely breaks any chance to apply prefix-bunch approach
recursively further.

I understand the scenario that you are describing, and I see why you
think of a recursive approach.  But note that the same scenarios can be
served also with non-recursive Six/One:  Propagate all prefixes to the
hosts and let them build their address bunches based on those.

- Christian