Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures

On Dec 21, 2007, at 8:08 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

PMTUD has been broken and unreliable for years, and that
hasn't stopped the Internet from working. The reason is
that hosts and applications have found methods of working
successfully that don't depend on PMTUD. Let's not even
debate what those methods are; it doesn't matter for
this discussion.

In fact, it very much does. The way that folks have worked around it for years is to go around and manually turn down MTUs on end hosts, leaving the Internet in a continual state of debugging and manual reconfiguration.

I don't see why the (virtual) links that are created by
a map-and-encap solution should be held to a higher standard
than any other link-layer technology.

Other link-layer technologies are not creating this problem. Tunneling is.

And as long as we're going to make significant architectural changes, we should be making things cleaner than when we got here.

Tony