Re: Dependency on mapping [Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures]

On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

The other thing that I still worry about as a matter of principle
is one of Jon Postel's contributions to RFC 1958:

"  3.11 Circular dependencies must be avoided.

      For example, routing must not depend on look-ups in the Domain
      Name System (DNS), since the updating of DNS servers depends on
      successful routing."

That's a little simplistic as written but it seems to need some
thought - can the mapping system recover from a major routing
failure without manual intervention? If the answer is "no" or
"dont't know" we have a problem.

It would seem to me that if the mapping system did not itself have a recursive dependency, we should be ok. Of course, resolving this is not particularly hard. We simply have to have every entity in the mapping system have both the id and locator of its parent.

Tony