Re: Dependency on mapping [Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures]

Hi,

TCP would slow down quite significantly if there is packet loss during
start-up.  Here is a brief analysis of what happens when TCP runs into
a retransmission timeout during the first RTT.  (Mapping-lookup-related
packet loss happens always during the first RTT, so packet loss
during later RTTs is irrelevant here.)

I agree with Christian. Yet....

If we are going to introduce a big change in  the Internet Architecture (and Loc/ID split -is- a big change) to think that todays protocol will work with the same degree of efficiency is kind of utopia.

Once loc/ID is introduced, probably something like a future TCP-Vegas++ or TCP-New-New-New-Reno will fix the inefficiencies.

In other words, we should aim not at preserving top performances, but to not "degrade them too much".

Luigi Iannone