RE: Aggregation Implies Provider Dependence // Re: [RRG] ALT's strong aggregation often leads to *very* long paths

 Hello Christian and others

You wrote

>The question is whether ALT operators would be willing to
>engage in such a cooperation with their competitors.  They
>could do the very same thing already today in order to make
>renumbering a less frequent event without sacrificing routing
>scalability.  But they are NOT doing it -- which is why we are
>looking for alternative solutions here in RRG...

The reason why we do not see such co-operation among the operators/ISPs
is not competition, but rather that there are no sufficient tools.
Currently if you wish to implement address aggregation and address
portability between two adjacent operators (adjacency in terms of
address space), would amount to a lot of manual configuration and
tweaking BGP.  The address aggregation and related address portability
(within the aggregation) would benefit the operators, customers and the
industry as a whole if proper tools just existed.

As a reference to similar problem, the address portability in the 3G and
GSM networks works fine even between the competitors. This didn't happen
because of the altruism of mobile operators, but because of regulation
that promoted competition. I could even go so far to claim that it was
exactly the hyper competition between the mobile operators that lead to
the implementation of address portability (with the help of regulation).

Regards
Hannu Flinck