Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

    > From: David Conrad <drc@virtualized.org>

    > looking at how the Internet has evolved over time, scalability and
    > dynamic behavior have been areas in which we've been bitten time and
    > time again. .. We also see increased bandwidth, cheaper memory, faster
    > processors, etc. I don't see these changes reversing or even slowing
    > down over time. Thus, it seems to me we should anticipate and optimize
    > for these changes instead of optimizing for the way things have been.

Yes - optimizing for the current state of things has always screwed us (the
most notable being the change from variable-length addresses in IPv3 to the
fixed 32-bit addresses of IPv4). We really need to pick architectures that
have a lot of headroom and flexibility, and not pick systems which are
narrowly tailored to the current state of affairs.

We're jacking up the internetwork layer and putting a whole new layer in
there, and also adding another layer of binding. That's a Big Step. Let's do
something significant, not just the minimal patch.

	Noel