Re: [RRG] Are we solving the wrong problem?

Geoff,

I think we're quibbling, but...

You're certainly challenging the orthodox notion that the routing system provides you the best path to get from one point to another.

I can't see that Eliot - it seems close to Shim6 in some ways, although here Mark is advocating a "shim' at the session / transport level of the protocol stack rather than at the IP level. I have my concerns at the robustness and effeciency of a session level approach and see more merit at the IP level, but thats a personal perspective. But thats orthogonal to the properties of a routing system.

Mark is attempting to solve multihoming and TE further up the stack. The problem is currently handled at layer 3 by the routing system, and many proposed solutions in this group focus on that layer.

(By the way I don't necessarily believe that the routing system necessarily provides the "best" path. A routing system is a distributed computation environment whose aim is to provide a consistent outcome for all forwarding elements.)

I didn't define the term. In fact, as you know very well, "best", is in the eye of the beholder, but obviously part of the definition should include consistency. A routing system that produces results that are optimal or fair to no one would not be deployed.

I don't see anything wrong with that. But I also don't see anything wrong with improving the routing system to provide the same function.

I just re-read section 7 of RFC 3221 (Architectural approaches to a scalable Exterior Routing Protocol, dating from 2001). I honestly don;t think we've poushed much beyond the state described then. Personally I think Mark is right to question the scaleability of "monolithic" nature of inter-domain routing when a single distributed computation is applied across the cross product of topology and policy, and whether you attempt to delay some of the computation, or partition it I'm not sure that the total information processing load has altered thereby.

What I attempted to question was whether we could break the "monolithic" nature of inter-domain routing into smaller byte-sized chunks and then partition the problem such that some portions aren't quite so "monolithic". But again, I don't see anything wrong with pursuing both avenues...

Eliot