Re: [RRG] Future mapping DB size, small micronets/EIDs

On 2008-02-21 13:46, Robin Whittle wrote:

> If so, please give some examples of the lower limit of number of
> IPv4 addresses per EID prefix - the longer prefix limit - you think
> the system should be used for.
>
> For instance, do you think LISP should be used to provide EID IPv4
> prefixes longer than /24?   Or some other limit shorter than /32?
> If not, I would like to understand your reasoning.

I think we've had that conversation (at least, I was having it
with Tony). My conclusion is that the longest prefix is undoubtedly
/32 or /128, but that doesn't answer the important question of
how many prefixes need to be mapped, which depends on how many sites
need to be mapped and what is their size distribution.

> Also, given the answer to that question, how many EIDs do you think
> - as an outside but not unrealistic estimate - a LISP scheme would
> ever have to support, say in 2015, 2020, 2030, 2040 and 2050?

And to that question we've had answers in the 10^7 to 10^9 range,
depending on a lot of assumptions which are economic and sociological
as much as they are technical.

   Brian