[RRG] TRRP's micronet length specification?

Hi Bill,

It has been a while since I read your TRRP material, but I thought,
perhaps incorrectly, that when the ITR queries the authoritative
nameserver about some IP address X, it gets a response not just for
X, but for the entire micronet of which X is a part.  (That micronet
could just be for X, but for the purposes of this discussion, I am
assuming it covers 2, 4 . . 256, 512 etc. addresses as a prefix.)

In your explanation of Waypoint Routers the ITR receives packets for
these destinations in this order:

  1   199.33.225.1    Sends request for this

  2   199.33.225.1

  3   199.33.225.2    Sends request for this

  4   199.33.225.1

Ignoring the Waypoint Router stuff, the responses arrive after these
four packets are sent.

The first response would contain the initial question, so the ITR
finds out for its mapping request regarding 199.33.225.1:

   80,g4,10.0.0.1

   (BTW, I found it confusing that the global DNS would return as
    an ETR address a private network address - maybe it would be
    better to have a public address in place of this.)

The second response has the same information, but is for the request
regarding 199.33.225.1:

   80,g4,10.0.0.1

Assuming for example that you have a micronet:

   199.33.225.0/20

with all 16 addresses therefore mapped to the one ETR (10.0.0.1 in
this example), isn't there a way a single mapping response can tell
the ITR that the address it asked for is part of a larger micronet,
with the one set of mapping information?

Then, the ITR doesn't have to delay packets, bother Waypoint Routers
or bug the authoritative nameserver when it wants to send packets to
any other address in this micronet.

LISP mapping replies do include the full micronet details (EID
starting point and prefix length).

  - Robin