Re: [RRG] Scaling, Mobility & 228 mapping changes a second

Jumping in...

On 27 feb 2008, at 12:54, Robin Whittle wrote:

So I think that as long as the radio networks provide the same
care-of address, I am not convinced any "Mobile IP" techniques are
needed to provide the care-of address addresses the MN needs for
this Ivip approach to global mobility.

The point that mobility can be solved regionally by simply tunneling to a "stability provider" is a good one. Especially if you consider that you'll do frequent handovers from various cheap and fast fixed networks to lower and more expensive mobile networks within a region. (I.e., walking out the door, getting coffee in a coffee shop, that could be your home network, 3G, coffee shop network.) Obviously this only works if all these networks have decent interconnection within the region. This is probably true for regions in the order of 1000 km.

However, when in your story you arrived in Heathrow my long-term scepticism of network layer mobility came back in full force. Why would you need to retain the same address after flying to the opposite end of the globe? You can't realistically expect sessions to stay up throughout the trip, and obviously the trip takes more than long enough to allow for updating even rather slow mapping services. This means that you could just as easily update your DNS record to point to your regionally-mobile address in England when you land.

So intra-regional mobility could be done using tunneling, extra- regional mobility is unnecessary, the DNS can handle it.

Now let's see what the other messages about mobility have to say...