Re: [RRG] Are we solving the wrong problem?

Hi Pekka,

El 05/03/2008, a las 6:39, Pekka Nikander escribió:

The biggest differences between your thinking and HIP seems to be that HIP is implemented below TCP, so that it works also for UDP. I think it matches better with the IP semantics, as a single IP address is (today) typically associated with a number of co-located TCP and UDP end-points.

Then there is also work specific to TCP, e.g Christian Huitema's eTCP (or whatever it was called).

I'm glad to see that more people come to the roughly same conclusions, independently. :-)

right, but i think that what is missing in all these proposals is to understand the interaction with congestion control, which may be critical if they get deployed. Moreover, understanding how these approaches can help to avoid congested paths, could actually be a solution to one of the cuases of the routing scalability problem, since many to the TE tricks and espcially the updates with more specific that change frequently seem to be related with trying to move traffic from one path to a different one, probably avoiding congested parts of the network. If there is a mechanism that does it automatically for the hosts, then, maybe the number of more specific announced and especially the highly volatile ones, will substantially decrease. But, i guess there are many hypothesis in this sentence, to actually make a strong case at this point

regards, marcelo

--Pekka Nikander