Re: [RRG] Generic requirements on mapping mechanisms

On 3/11/08 4:42 PM, Olivier Bonaventure allegedly wrote:
and different EID address families could also use different authorities.

Agreed, but I hope that there won't be too many EID address families.

I'm sure there will only be a few :-)

Another way to express the requirement could be that nodes are not forced to use the more specific mappings that they receive.

I like it.

4. A mapping will have a limited lifetime.

No mapping can be permament and the mapping reply should contain the lifetime of this mapping. This is similar to the TTL in the DNS. A long lifetime will favor scalability while a shorter lifetime will ease traffic engineering by allowing a site to update regularly its map replies. As for requirement 2, the cost of using short lifetimes should be supported by the site that is using those short lifetimes, not by the entire mapping system.

I don't know how to do that.  Can you give an example?

In the case of the DNS, some of the cost of using short TTLs is supported by the owner of the domain names with a short TTL. The resolvers of nodes that resolve those domain names also suffer some cost, but the nodes that do not contact these domain names do not suffer the additional cost. In this case, there is some cost (replying to more DNS requests) for the domain that chooses to use short lifetime. This is not perfect since the resolvers that contact this domain also support some cost.

OK.  I thought perhaps you had a way of removing even that cost.

Scott