Re: [RRG] Mobility, update rates & charging per update

One small aspect that I think I am seeing here is the same words ("incrementally deployable") being used to describe two different concepts. I may be confused, but it looks to me like:

Deployable incrementally without disruption: This means that a portion of the net (host, site ISP, whatever) can deploy the system without losing capability or connectivity. A flag day is not necessary in order to get the system operational.

Deployment incremental incentives: This sounds like what Robin is asking for, and is related to a bunch of work I have seen from folks like Dr. Odlyzko on the economic incentives that are needed to drive deployment. It includes analysis of issues like when do folks need positive return on new technologies to cause them to deploy.

They are both valid concerns. But I think they are two different dimensions.

Yours,
Joel

Robin Whittle wrote:
Short version:  Map-encap direct support for mobility doesn't mean
                frequent updates, because the mapping change only
                occurs when a new TTR is used - which only happens
                when the mobile device moves to an access network
                ~1000 km distant from the current TTR.

                Why we don't need to worry so much about the
                maximum update rate in a push or hybrid push-pull
                system if that system charges per update - since the
                system will be self-funded and grow to whatever
                capacity the demand requires, at whatever price-per
                update the system can support.

                This removes the biggest problems of "too frequent"
                updates - as bedevils the BGP system - that they
                place a burden on people who are not deriving any
                benefit, including being paid, for each update.