Re: [RRG] Which Side to Control Ingress Link Selection?

Brian,

Brian Dickson wrote:

Hot-potato routing means ISP(sender) throws the traffic to the ISP(recipient) as soon as possible, meaning ISP(recipient) usually bears most of the long-haul costs. This in turn gets passed on to the recipient, in the form of the billing model for traffic.

I may misunderstand this statement, but to me this is true for only half of the path.

Once packets crossed a peering link or start to go down along provider->customer peering links, hot potato is not necessarily a fact.

A customer can impact the Local-pref value of the paths it advertises to its provider using the communities agreed upon with the provider

A customer can use prepending

A customer can use MED

If none of the above techniques are used then and only then hot potato will play a role. I pay my providers to carry my bits after all...

Cheers,

Pierre.

Brian Dickson