[RRG] Text proposal: mapping granularity

Hi all,

I'm trying to record the items that we reach consensus on, as well as some
of the background behind the discussion.  Here's my first draft at this
particular issue.

If you have comments, more specific comments (i.e., replacement text) is
favored over less specifics.

Thanks,
Tony

3.1.1.  Granularity

   The granularity of the mapping function controls the specificity of
   the entries that make up the map.  Mapping large blocks of
   identifiers to a common set of locators is highly efficient because
   it reduces the amount of information needed in the mapping function,
   but it sacrifices the ability for the mapping function to support
   more specific information, at the expense of scalability.  Shifting
   the scalability problem from today's routing protocols and forwarding
   plane to tomorrow's mapping function simply moves the problem.  Thus,
   any mapping solution that is going to have detailed granularity must
   also have commensurate scaling properties.

3.1.1.1.  Recommendation

   The identifier to locator mapping function should support mapping
   entries for both host identifiers and their aggregates.