Re: [RRG] Six/One Router: Provider-Independence, IPv4/IPv6 Interworking, Backwards-Compatibility

Phil -

as nearly everything's legacy to start with, I'd like to understand the
performance implications better? Is this something that could be
deployed at current NATs /firewalls /DPI boxes? (I tend to think of
Six/one router as a super NAT) - any idea what the performance
implications on them would be? (eg if have to install 2* NAT/ firewalls,
then the benefit to that party has to be >2*  ?)

You are right, a Six/One Router would basically take the place where NATs are used today, preferably on the border of an edge network such that all addresses within the edge network are kept provider- independent.

On performance: For packets exchanged with legacy edge networks, a Six/One router pursues the same processing as a normal NAT, plus mapping resolution. For packets exchanged with upgraded edge networks, a Six/One router pursues the same processing as a tunnel router, plus mapping resolution.

The mapping for a packet's destination address is chosen by...

(a) the sending side

(b) the sending side initially, but the receiving side controls all
    subsequent re-selections

(c) the receiving side, both initially and subsequently

[...]

Which approach to follow is something that I think should be more carefully discussed on this mailing list. This is a general topic that is not specific to Six/One Router. It may be a delicate topic because it is about the distribution of routing power.

yes, I agree that some discussion would be excellent - I think the
analysis can be done at a fairly general level (ie without getting into
how specific protocol proposal x works). Certainly agree the
distribution of routing /policy power (and the capability) is important
- at least to recognise that changes to it are a migration barrier.

Might be a migration barrier or a migration facilitator, depending on what is desired. But to get a good understanding of which one it will be, we need to discuss the matter -- very much agree with you.

- Christian