Re: [RRG] map change due to a path failure?

On 2008-03-26 03:49, Xu Xiaohu wrote:

> How about having the authoritative ETR to update the status of the EID->RLOC
> mapping in the mapping system automatically according to the connectivity
> between the ETR and the site network, while having the routing system to
> determine the reachability of the ETR?

However, we want to avoid map flapping by design (you will remember
that BGP4 route flapping was a big problem).

I would set a quite different timescale for status updates
in the mapping system - if we followed your suggestion, I would
suggest that a loss of connectivity should persist for
a long time, maybe 30 minutes, before the ETR changes the
map. I'd expect BGP to handle any outages on a shorter timescale.
If we set the timers in the mapping system to the same order
of magnitude as those in the routing system, we're likely
to see some horrible interactions between map flapping
and route flapping.

    Brian