Re: [RRG] map change due to a path failure?

On 3/25/08 10:20 AM, Noel Chiappa allegedly wrote:
    > From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>

    > That seems to assume that a failure will produce a map change. I expect
    > a failure to produce a change in the routing tables, but why should a
    > (temporary) failure produce any change in the map?

Because it's a lot less overhead to the system (overall) to change a mapping
entry, and then change it back when the failure has been remedied?

Of couse, if the failure affects *lots* of entries, then it's cheaper overall
to have the routing deal with it. However, it all depends on the exact nature
of the failure (which wasn't specified).

Unfortunately, we don't have any way (or tools) that would allow us to decide
whether it made more sense to handle something in one subsystem (mapping) or
another (path-selection).

Help me understand. I thought that when Brian said "routing" he was referring to routing between routed locators, within the topologically aggregated core, i.e. for example ITRs and ETRs.

I don't see how you can have a choice between fixing failures in mapping or in routing. They are orthogonal. The mapping system gives you a set of routed locators that you can send your packet toward in order to get to a destination that is not routed. Routing gives you paths to anything that is in fact "routed" (i.e. a path can be discovered via routing). So how you deal with a failure depends on the failure, but you don't have a choice.

So clearly I missed what you meant.

    > I would expect this would cause the routing algorithm to be told about
    > the failure and to find an alternative path involving the same or an
    > alternative map entry.

Suppose there is a failure of an intermediate router, between two domains in the DFZ. They know nothing of mapping/unmapping, and mapping knows nothing of them. This is handled by BGP right now. Are you suggesting that changes in BGP paths across the DFZ should be communicated to the mapping points, or perhaps to the mapping distribution/discovery system, so that they can change their preferred mappings?

Or, suppose there is a failure of a de-mapping point (ETR). At least in LISP, that will very probably not be seen in mainstream BGP -- its RLOC is just a single address in PA space. Any failure here is not a concern of mainstream routing, and will be taken care of in the mapping system.