Re: [RRG] new draft on " A Taxonomy for New Routing and Addressing Architectu...

In einer eMail vom 14.04.2008 19:26:26 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU:
It looks to me the above confusion seems coming from not defining
"topology" first.
What we mean by topology is Internet topology (not geographic
topology), i.e. the ISP AS interconnectivity.
The German E.164 telephone numbers are NETWORK TOPOLOGICAL as the digit-to-link mapping was even done mechanically (formerly). Yes, it was up to human planning, that neighboring digit values was chosen for neighboring geographical areas. And yes, there are violations to the initial configuration from which we can learn: The area/city codes for Munich and Frankfurt once were 811 resp. 611. They changed to 89 resp. 69 as to yield one digit to the user number (enforced by the growth of both cities' populations).

Will say: E.164 isn't any better. It is also complying with "addresses may follow topology"
Address aggregation is  cumbersome, it is subject for change, and also there are a lot of addresses which do not fit for aggregation. Also, AS numbers can't be aggregated either,right?!

But :"Topology may also follow addressing" which is clearly the better choice.

Heiner