Re: [RRG] Arguments against Transport, Translation & Six/One Router

Robin, your note assumes several agreements which have not yet been reached.

We have by no means explored all of the host based or transport based solutions. The WG has not agreed that the solution must be on a site level. There are certainly advantages to site level solutions, but it is not a done deal.

We have not even had any serious discussions about whether IPv6 only solutions are worth considering. You simply assert that we must have v4 as well as v6 solutions. Again, there are good reasons to want solutions for both spaces. But there are also strong arguments in terms of deployment and actual need that indicate that a v6 only solution may be more deployable and more useful. I personally wonder if we might well be better off with a v6-centric solution.

You list several further "must not" that are not yet working group agreements. Several of them look like good ideas. But it is a long step from "good constraint if we can meet it" to "must not."

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern