[RRG] Re: Arguments against Transport, Translation & Six/One Router

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:04:10AM +1000,
 Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au> wrote
 a message of 194 lines which said:

>                 I suggest we eliminate "Translation" and "Transport"
>                 approaches from consideration, since 19 months after
>                 the RAWS workshop the only potentially practical
>                 proposals are all Map-Encap.

I am not sure I agree with your classification. Where do you put HIP?

> Firstly, as noted in the above-linked message, during the
> "transition period", in order to provide backwards compatibility,
> your proposal involves deep packet inspection and modification of
> traffic packets.
> This is absolutely impossible to implement in a solution for
> universal adoption as the RRG will be proposing,

You may not like it but saying it is impossible is a bit strange since
currently, most users today access Internet through a NAT box which
typically works that way (with the limitations you mention).