RE: [RRG] Consensus? Users will not adopt solutions which result in "split-system" functionality

Robin,

  Most of your stated beliefs here about "reality" are inconsistent
with my own prior experience in Network Engineering for a
multi-continent ISP,  inconsistent with my prior work on a very
large all-continents private IP network, and inconsistent with
my experience in enterprise IP networks.

  It is perhaps not surprising that since my experience
is so inconsistent with your assertions, then I don't reach
the same conclusions that you have reached.

  Given the charter at hand, which is for the Routing RG to
propose an architecture to the IETF rather than to endorse
some specific engineering proposal, it is not at all surprising
to me that the Routing RG has followed its charter and has
not focused on trying to select a specific engineering proposal.

  More generally, I'd encourage you to try to raise the "altitude"
of your discussions -- less about specific detailed proposals, less
about *engineering* tradeoffs (both of which are IETF responsibility,
not IRTF responsibility), and more focus about the *architectural*
tradeoffs to hand.

Cheers,

Ran Atkinson
rja@extremenetworks.com