Re: [RRG] Consensus? Solution cannot require host upgrades

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 5:47 AM, Robin Whittle <rw@firstpr.com.au> wrote:
> I think the map-encap schemes (LISP, APT, Ivip and TRRP) were all
> designed on the assumption that any solution to the routing and
> addressing problem which required host upgrades would not be widely
> enough adopted to make the required impact on the routing system.

Speaking for TRRP, that is correct and I consider the assumption to be valid.

> I think there may be a role for host upgrades if they improve on a
> slight performance problem which is inherent in the RRG-suggested
> scheme - but that problem has to be slight, otherwise not enough
> end-users will adopt the scheme in the first place for it to make a
> sufficient difference to the routing scaling problem.

I think the its permissible for the performance degradation on a
non-upgraded host to be serious so long as it isn't so serious as to
be "broken." If I can still telnet to and receive SNMP traps from my
Cisco 2511 over the new backbone then things are probably still OK. If
I need gateways and helpers and dual stacks then the deployment ain't
never gonna happen.

I think I'm saying essentially the same thing Brian Carpenter said:

>>If a solution is
>>incrementally deployable with no loss of functionality for
>>non-upgraded hosts, I don't see how we can exclude it a priori.

With a sufficiently inclusive definition of "no loss of
functionality," and no dual-stack escapism, that's about right.

#0. Way too many different people have to do too many things before
the system can be deployed as more than a toy.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin@dirtside.com bill@herrin.us