Re: [RRG] reachability

Ran,

On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:15 AM, RJ Atkinson wrote:

Earlier, Brian Carpenter wrote:
% Is it OK if only 95% of telephones can be called, too?
Brian,

 My guess is that at present my own telephones can reach
less than 90% of the total PSTN-connected telephones deployed
around the globe.

 There are several *countries* worth of telephones that
simply are not reachable from my telephones, whether for
policy reasons (e.g. governmental/political policies)
or because there are no inter-connection agreements
(equivalent to "peering agreements"), or for other reasons.

Do you have any data to justify the 90% figure? Given the growth of mobile phones, I would think the number is probably closer to 99%. The countries without reachable phones probably don't have that many phones in total.

For example, there were supposed to be 3.3 billion mobile phones toward the end of 2007. See: http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nL29172095

Ignoring fixed line phones, 10% of 3.3B would be a lot of unreachable phones. I don't think the countries you are thinking about are that large even assuming everyone had a phone.

Bob