Re: [RRG] GSE History

> The chances of getting them to accept any further
> change that is visible *above* the network layer are pretty slim.

It seems that the core of the discussion assumes a node being a PC/PC-like device. Over the last 30+ years the network has probably evolved to a qualitatively new stage.

For the luck of a better analogy consider a live cell that is managed from a nucleus by DNA. Essentially DNA is a database recording all the info one may need to build proteins and then to assemble even more complex structures from proteins. Observing repeatedly the unity of the universe I see no reason why the network should be any different from a living organizm.

I.e. if an application drives the rest of the activity on the network an instance of that application in a communicating device must bear a globally unique identifier. IPv6 address or a part of it looks capacitive enough to become just that. If that requires a swiping change to the current mode of operations, so what? Obviously there is a good chance that more of the current mode will be re-used.

Thanks,

Peter