Re: [RRG] GSE?

Robin,

On Jun 11, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
I think a GSE-like proposal would involve you getting the IPv6
proponents (all of them great optimists with high ideals, in my
view) to forget about IPv6 as we know it and refocus their optimism
on IPv6bis instead, being prepared to rip-up and retry (a printed
circuit layout term) the thing they have been saying was ready for
mass adoption for the last 12 years.

Cue Vince Fuller's "VAST installed base" commentary... :-)

More seriously, the reality is that to date, IPv6 has seen essentially zero use so ripping it out and replacing it with something else would not operationally impact significant numbers of people. However, with that said, I would agree that this isn't so much a technical issue as a political one. From my perspective, I have always felt we have 3 options:

1) IPv4 + NAT, more NAT, and forever NAT
2) IPv6 + some new network element (ITR/ETR, a new layer, a new transport protocol, etc.)
3) IPngng

As far as I can tell, proposals to "Do it Right" are option (3) since they will require pretty much the same level of effort in terms of redeploying protocol stacks and modifying applications (I'd argue that applications knowing address structure and keeping copies of addresses in their data space is an example of how to "Do it Wrong").

I'm hoping we can get by with option (2).

I suspect we're going to end up with option (1).

NAT-PT has been buried

Please don't take the actions of the IETF as reflections on reality. In all of the recent IPv6-only 'experiments' that have taken place at operations meetings, the IETF, and RIR meetings, _all_ of them used NAT-PT. Some reasonably successfully. Like NAT itself, NAT-PT meets a functional need and the market will make its own decisions as to whether it lives or dies, regardless of what folks at the IETF might say.

Regards,
-drc