Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

On 6/23/08 2:53 AM, Lixia Zhang allegedly wrote:
Hi Robin,

Below is just a quick reply based on *personal* view.
I would like to first sort out a few basic things.
- yes we want to/need to "get it right"
- a clean-slate way of thinking is to see the complete design space,
  without being constrained by what is "doable" or "undoable".
- it will take a great engineering design decision to choose
  among alternative solutions, based on the tradeoffs,
  short term vs long long term.

I like to start with a clean slate set of _requirements_ (not design) and then work back to what is doable short term. That way your immediate actions at least lead us in a good long-term direction.

I'll save the rest for later (as it's getting close to 3AM local time). But I'd like to repeat myself one more time here:
- we are solving routing scalability problem here.
  we need to "do it right"

(1) We need to do it.

(2) To the extent we can do it "right" and still satisfy (1) in useful time, we should. See above as a way to do it.