Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

On 7/2/08 4:41 PM, Robert Bonomi allegedly wrote:
Addresses (routing-names) are the data that path-selection (routing) works
on. As such, they are inherently inseparable.

I have trouble seeing them as tightly bound. Routing is mechanisms for passing around information in support of path discovery and selection. The information is about routing-names but the form of those names has only limited influence on the information about those names that needs to be transferred, and even less on the mechanisms by which it is transferred or used. ??

Here we go with the terminology problem -- specifically the multiple,
overlaid, meanings attached to the symbol "address".   <sigh>

'Routing' is _not_ bound to the 'identifiers' used to specify destination
objects.

"Routing" _is_ inextricably bound to a location-specifying attribute of
the object which the 'identifier' _names_.

In present-day IP routing object label called the "IP Address" is used both as the identifier, and as the location-specifying attribute.

... if the routing-name has such a location-specifying attribute. I suggest that 128.84.253.16 has no location-specifying attribute of its own. It is only routing mechanisms that discover/provide information on where it might be. Granted there are some ways of constructing routing-names that build location information into them (for use by routing), but the current IP address is not one of them.

_Internal_ routing within a single network is closely, if not inextricably,
bound to the unique label that specifies the object's location on the
network -- thhe "IP address".

But it doesn't specify the object's location.