RE: [RRG] Re: Should the identifier be used as local locator

|> Earlier Xu XiaoHu wrote:
|> % Take GSE/ILNP as an example, the so-called identifier
|> % is still used as routing hint in the site networks, ...
|>
|> The note referenced above does not correctly describe ILNP.
|> I'll leave it to others as to whether it correctly describes GSE.
|>
|> - ILNP does NOT ever use the Identifier for
|routing/forwarding packets.
|> - The Identifier is only used for identity purposes in ILNP.
|>
|> - ILNP *only* uses the Locator to route/forward packets,
|>   including when mobility or multi-homing are part of the deployment.
|
|Ran, after the Locator guides the packet to a subnetwork, does the
|packet ever go through another IP router on its way to the destination
|endpoint?  If so, how is it known what the next hop should be
|to forward
|the packet?

And more specifically, how does the last hop router determine the MAC
address of the final destination?  The MAC address itself is a flat
identifier (and locator on the last hop) that can be embedded in the
endpoint identifier, or the endpoint identifier can be used for a lookup to
determine the MAC address.  In either case, the endpoint identifier ends up
being used for a local routing decision.

Tony