Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

In einer eMail vom 10.07.2008 14:23:35 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt bill@herrin.us:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 7:09 AM, Scott Brim <swb@employees.org> wrote:
> On 7/3/08 7:00 PM, William Herrin allegedly wrote:
>>
>> As for MPLS, who wants to argue that MPLS -is-not- a map-encap protocol?
>> Not me.
>
> There are some noticeable differences, mainly that the (current)
> map-and-encap schemes use IP routing and forwarding as they are today.
> There is no setup phase for encapsulating a packet, and a core
> forwarder does not discriminate between an encapsulated packet and a
> non-encapsulated packet.

Scott,

Distribution of the routes to the decapsulation nodes is a setup phase
radically different in the overview than distribution of an MPLS
label?

>  With MPLS, forwarding depends on
> pre-establishment of a path.  Labels have no topological significance
> and are not forwardable until the per-label forwarding behavior is
> installed in the nodes along a path.  They don't aggregate.

As we're finding to our chagrin, neither to IP addresses.
But geographical labelling does, and, it does NOT need any distribution mechanism.
Heiner

Regards,
Bill Herrin