Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing is at odds with reality

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM, William Herrin <bill@herrin.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum
> <iljitsch@muada.com> wrote:
>> I don't see that.
>>
>> If I want to shrink my routing tables I can filter out any Canadian more
>> specifics all over the world except in Canada, and instead put in an
>> aggregate that covers the address space used in Canada.
>
> Anyway, my concern is this: if it's that close to a full breach of the
> permission constraint in an 8-node system, what does it look like in a
> 50-node system?

Iljitsch,

Found the breach. Look at http://bill.herrin.us/network/geoag-i1.gif

With your new strategy, packets from H to E will take the aggregated
route through C and B instead of the longer (but permitted) route
through I and J.

Nice try though.

Regards,
Bill Herrin