RE: Geo RIB-FIB compression, was: Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing is at odds with reality

Hi Iljitsch,

|In the draft I wrote half a decade ago (wow, said that way it sounds
|even older!) I specified that the aggregates wouldn't be propagated
|outside the AS that creates them, except perhaps to customers. For
|obvious business reasons a network isn't going to announce any more
|specifics that it gets from peers to other peers, and with geo
|aggregation that wouldn't be possible in most places anyway as these
|more specifics are filtered out. So what would the network announce
|that draws traffic?

The point is that if you were previously propagating more specifics and then
internally aggregate and stop propagating more specifics, then you change
traffic flow, forcing it away from you.

|Right. A pan-Canadian network that also peers in some US
|cities may be
|somewhat surprised if it suddenly sees all traffic from the US east
|coast to Vancouver be delivered in Montreal rather than New York. But
|this isn't the kind of coordination where the entire internet
|needs to
|be upgraded before something useful can happen.

True, but it still requires all of the providers at the abstraction action
boundary to coordinate to ensure that traffic flows are not disturbed.  And
you have to do this coordination more or less per prefix.

Tony