Re: [RRG] thoughts on the design space 1: the space

Hi Jari,

Further to my recent message 02028, I suggest another modification
for your diagram:

   http://www.arkko.com/ietf/rrg/designspace_dataplane.jpg

Please add a third branch under "Core-Edge Separation":

     IPv6 Flow Label Forwarding

     FLOWv6

which is the name of my new proposal:

   http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg02036.html

Although it is only applicable to IPv6, and although it requires
modest changes to DFZ routers (but not to the BGP protocol), I think
it is a much more attractive solution than map-encap or translation.
 There appear to be no PMTUD or header checksum problems.  The
packets are not made any longer and there is no address rewriting.

Also, I expect it would significantly reduce the FIB workload of DFZ
routers when handling packets addressed to the new type of address
space for end-user networks.

There is no great urgency making a scalable solution for IPv6.  If
something like FLOWv6, probably with a different name, is developed
to the RFC stage by 2012 then router firmware updates could be
widely deployed by 2014 - by which time the rest of the system,
including the mapping system, could be developed and ready to go.

  - Robin