Re: [RRG] draft-rja-ilnp-intro-01.txt

On 8/1/08 9:29 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum allegedly wrote:
   Identifiers are unique within the context of a given
   Locator; in many cases, Identifiers might happen to be
   globally unique, but that is not a functional requirement
   for this proposal.

This means that it won't be possible to learn the locators for a given identifier through a lookup mechanism. So ILNP has many of the same limitations of shim6: at least one working (!) locator must be present in the DNS (or other address discovery mechanism).

Because of this and the use of dynamic DNS, basically, the FQDN is the real identifier while the "I" is only a fixed-size handle that conveniently fits in existing fields.

IMHO they serve different purposes. The FQDN is for locating it in the first place. Once you have found it, then the "I" is good as a persistent node identifier for mobility and multipath.

This mechanism doesn't address the situation where there is a failure, but the failure isn't directly visible to the host (or router) connecting to the link in question. Because of switches, failures on the actual link are often hidden. There can also be a problem reaching part of the internet through a link, so the fact that one destination is reachable doesn't mean that another destination is reachable. So the only way to know for sure if a destination is reachable is to have specific information in the routing system, or send packets and see if something comes back.

I suggest you emulate Milla Jovovich: hold a ticket to paradise in your hand and say: "Multipath".

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/)