Re: [RRG] FLOWv6: IPv6 Flow Label to control DFZ forwarding

On 31 jul 2008, at 14:39, Robin Whittle wrote:

I woke up this morning thinking:

   The IPv6 Flow Label isn't being used.
     How many bits is it??
        20 . . . . !!!!

So far, so good. However, you continue for another 50 kilobytes. I gave up at this point:

Terminology
-----------

  Conventional networks
  SEN - Scalable End-user Network
  SPI - Scalable PI - address space
  Micronet
  UAB - User Address Block
  MAB - Mapped Address Block
  IFR - Ingress Flow Router.
  IFRC - IFR with Cache
  IFRH - IFR function in sending Host
  OIFRD - Open Ingress Flow Router in the DFZ.
  EFR - Egress Flow Router
  FPER - Flow Path Exit Router
  EBP - EFR Block Prefix
  Mapping system
  QSD - Query Server with full Database
  QSC - Query Server with Cache

If you're going to invent a new way to bypass routing table lookups by using a 20 bit tag, at least make it _simpler_ than MPLS.

PLEASE realize that:

- IETF/IRTF participants have ample background knowledge
- we need to know some details about your solution, not 10 years future work
- terminology sections that don't fit in short term memory don't work
- a half decent simple solution wins from a very good complex one every time
- there are only 24 hours in a day
- this is the rrg mailinglist, not the internet-drafts repository

With that out of the way: your solution is basically a subset/ optimization of MPLS. Earlier, requiring MPLS was categorized as a non- starter. Not sure if I agree with that, MPLS implementations are widely available and running MPLS without too much overhead in the form of signaling protocols seems like a fair tradeoff to gain routing scalability to me.