Re: [RRG] thoughts on the design space 1: the space

Scott,

> I disagree that host-based approaches never need mapping. These two
> dimensions -- where the function is done and whether it needs mapping or
> not -- are orthogonal. You can place a mapping function in a host just
> as easily as you can place it in a border router. This also implies
> that Lixia's "separation/elimination" distinction is more effective
> than "in host / at edge".

I don't recall if I said that host-based approach _never_ need mapping.
It seems possible to construct mechanisms that can live without one.
Shim6 and multipath TCP, for instance. However, even in these cases
having a mapping system would enable the hosts to do more. For instance,
in Shim6 you have to rely on application failover to another locator
during initial contact (which may be slow) and certain unidirectional
failure cases are unresolvable.

So yes, I agree that host-based approaches may also employ a mapping
function.

> There are a number of hybrid possibilities in "push/pull". See
> draft-rrg-taxonomy-00 and the arguments Dave Thaler made on the old
> architecture list. For example, you can push an index but pull
> mappings. You can push mappings differently in space (treating some
> locations as special, or pushing them partway) and time (differently at
> different times of day). So just "push/pull" as a distinguisher
> doesn't help enough.

Also true. I didn't want to imply that push/pull is a binary choice.
There was only so much tree structure that I could draw in the given
amount of space and time I had for doing the graphs. But the push/pull
choice is really a continuum. As we discussed previously, even systems
that I would classify is pure push-based from a mapping perspective
would probably still employ some failure detection mechanisms and
negotiation with the peer network to deal with the choice of ITRs and
ETRs. (Because handling their dynamic failures at the mapping system
level would probably make the system non-scalable.)

Jari