RE: [RRG] Perplexing PMTUD and packet length observations

>> Removing fragmentation from the network is a really good aspect of
>> IPv6, I think.  Ideally, I think, all packets should be sent DF=1
>> and all applications should be ready to cope

As with declaring fragmentation "harmful", removing
in-the-network fragmentation in IPv6 was a black-and-white
decision point that doesn't match well with the real world.

In-the-network fragmentation is useful as long as the
endpoints have a way of knowing that it is happening.
In-the-network fragmentation provides a means for the
endpoints to sense that something is out of tune and
then make the necessary adjustments to tune it out.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com