Re: RE: [RRG] Renumbering...

Tony Li wrote:
Even if you are one of the folks that believes that we should run the Internet on PNNI, this
scalability issue does not evaporate.

Answering:

No one believes that the Internet should be run on PNNI (nor on Nimrod from which PNNI came from).

Renumbering: What does renumbering buy with respect to mobility ? IMO nothing. What does renumbering buy with respect to improved multipath capabilities ? IMO nothing. How significant as well as how temporary is its gain with respect to the scalability issue - compared to a single table-offset lookup for the next hop ? How disruptive is the renumbering process ? How well is it confined to be a service provider issue rather than a customer issue ? How is it to be done?

Not PNNI and not any hierarchical topology, however a multiple zooms topology will evaporate the scaling problem.

We need to build a second bridge over the river, and such that the old bridge can still be used without any impact. Over time the advantages of the new bridge will prevail while dependency on the old bridge will become more and more troublesome.

Heiner