Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

[Edited and resent due to nutty email filters on the list]

Dino Farinacci wrote:
SHIM6, HIP, and multiple PA blocks were not, and are still not, considered viable options; my understanding of this RRG was to come up with something that the "un-stoppable force" would find acceptable so that it could be redirected that way.

Stephen, in your own words, why are they not viable?

SHIM6 and HIP are immediately out because they required a change to all hosts before benefits accrued (see also: a last-mover advantage), which could not be fully deployed soon enough to matter, based on the industry's track record so far of implementing even _basic_ IPv6 support.

Multiple PA blocks is slightly more attractive because it is (in theory) incrementally deployable, but it requires that every time an upstream link goes up or down, you have to renumber your entire network (including DNS, DHCP, etc.), plus lose any open TCP sockets that were bound to addresses in the block being removed. Compared to the mostly external costs of PI, that's out as well.

And does the registry community think a Loc/ID split solution is acceptable? I mean, maybe not the specific solutions that deliver Loc/ID split but the concept?

The concept of a Loc/ID split is very attractive, and many folks over the years have been clamoring for that for a variety of different reasons. It fits the mental model of how people view networks (or any objects) better than the current (flawed) model of overloading locators to also serve as identifiers.

The current proposals only take that split to a site level, and conceptually that's still not ideal, but it's a lot better than what we have today and could provide a base for further (intra-site) work if desired.

And if you have opinions why LISP would be acceptable (or not) please provide.

I like the concept of LISP, but I need to spend a lot more time studying the specifics of the mapping systems before I can offer my own comments on individual proposals, but at a high level, I don't see any specific problems with Map&Encap. The cost is low and benefits accrue immediately to the people who pay it, and no change to hosts or most routers is required. Of course, I'm only speaking for myself here, not the entire PI horde ;-)

There's still the looming question of who's going to provide the initial Anycast ITRs that are needed to make incremental deployment and reaching critical mass possible, but there are several different reasonable solutions to that problem and so I'm not very concerned about it at this point.