[RRG] IPv6

There has been some discussion on the role for IPv6,
where some of the notes suggest that the IPv6 and IPv4
Internets are separate and disjoint. I believe that is
true to a certain extent, however I also believe there
is opportunity to leverage their inter-relations.

In particular, new efforts are examining the use of
IPv4-in-IPv6 tunneling to access (legacy) global IPv4
services. This would entail an IPv4 node within a
(potentially) deeply-nested hierarchy of sites-within-
sites discovering the IPv6 address of an IPv4-in-IPv6
tunnel endpoint located at the global IPv4 edge of
the hierarchy. So, IPv6 would be used for navigation
purposes within the hierarchy and IPv4 for end-to-end
access of global IPv4 services.

That covers the already-deployed services that can be
accessed via global IPv4 addresses, but what about new
services? Very simply, new services would be accessed
via global IPv6 addresses, and there would be incentive
for IPv4-only nodes to turn on their IPv6 stacks. This
brings us back once again to IPv4 as RLOCs and IPv6
as EIDs...

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com