Re: [RRG] Re: Practical Proposals vs. endless theoretical discussions

Steven,

On Sep 15, 2008, at 5:43 AM, Steven Blake wrote:
so I can't see how you can assume you can change the
whole world over to IPv6 inside 8 years.
In five years there will be > 2 billion new cell phones with IP stacks.
How do you propose to provide global connectivity to these?

The same way global connectivity is provided to most cell phones today, that is, NAT. "Global" IPv6 connectivity (to use the term loosely) gets you to an infinitesimal amount of content on the Internet. The content most people want is available via IPv4 and there is no incentive for content providers to spend the money to change this. At best, I suspect that within 5 years you might see IPv6 as an intra-ISP infrastructure through which you tunnel NAT'd IPv4. In other words, the IPv4 address becomes a non-unique identifier over an infrastructure that uses IPv6 addresses as locators (with those locators numbering NAT devices (ITRs and ETRs if you prefer)).

Regards,
-drc